Eric Nelson's Billy Rhinestone and the Fateful Find: Is this the Birth of something Greater than the X-Men Series?

--Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy

It has been a while since I have chomped on a novel and felt this satiated. It is perhaps even more surprising that it is a novel in series; and I must confess that I detest waiting or looking for the next series of a story or film to know how a story finally ends (I'm for giv' me da 'hole mother fricking thin' or giv' me nothin' at all--pay no attention to my poor attempt at imitating the teenage characters in this novel, haha!). However, here is one story I need to know how it ends like my life depends on it!

Two adventurous male teenagers decide to ransack a strange looking solitary house in the desert of Las Vegas and luckily find two gemstones following an attack by a ferocious dog. It turns out that these stones are not just ordinary stones and imbue their handlers with extraterrestrial powers like an ability to control plants and animals, breathe inside water, feel extreme strength and bolster self-confidence.

But there is a huge problem--there are strong and very dangerous forces also seeking these gemstones too. These forces would not bait an eyelid before slashing anyone on their way to pieces, and they leave no witness too. They now know that the two teenagers have two powerful gemstones and are moving in for the kill! It turns out that owning any of the gemstones, using it, touching it, knowing of its existence, knowing someone who owns one or even being related to that person, will forever make you a prey to be hunted down and chopped to pieces. Such a cruel price to pay for power!

I love the story's teenage protagonists and the use of diction reflecting their age. The author's descriptive and wild imaginative powers also help readers create mental pictures of the story as they go along, it was almost like watching a film and I had even begun to visualise actor Morgan Freeman playing the role of Freedman in the story. The story has some elements of horror without being entirely horrific, and there is a heightened use of necessary suspense needed to keep readers turning the novel's pages.

I found some things out of place in the novel though. For one, it appears the author made Peterson look creepy and amiable at the same time. For one who had such a treasure in his possession, it would seem out of place to draw unnecessary attention to himself in such a secluded location. Talk of visitors with luxury cars are out of place for a character like Peterson. A character like that ought to be stealthier than as portrayed in the story.

Secondly, I could not comprehend why Grimes had to attach his emerald stone to his dog if he could control the dog while holding the stone himself. Was this done so Max could easily find the stone? That part might need some straightening out. We are also left in the dark about what transpired in the house between Grimes and Peterson before Grimes unleashed the dog on him.

Also, Max appears to feel nothing when the rattlesnakes and critters get hurt but feels hurt when the dog, eagle, and squirrel are shot at. Is this supposed to be thus?

Lastly, I think a better opening for the novel should have been the scene where Max had rattlesnakes attack Sams. I am sure that part would draw the interest of readers even more by defining the novel's essence as fantasy fiction.

Eric Nelson has certainly gained a lot from his mentors. He might still lack the deftness and profundity of JRR Tolkien or James Patterson but he has demonstrated that he can effortlessly sustain the interest of his readers by telling a scintillating tale; besides, I would rather have a new Eric Nelson on the block than have a reincarnation of Tolkien or Patterson.

On a final note, I wish to issue a severe warning to Eric Nelson. How this story ends is for me a gemstone and I am The Beast; if you mess this up, you can be sure that I shall find you and do the needful with my blades!

© Ubaji Isiaka Abubakar Eazy 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If Only by Bodle Mohamed

Bad Friends Corrupt Good Morals

How to Suceed by Faarah Mohamed